What is vaginal dryness during sex?
Pain during sex is often caused by having sex before the vagina is ready sufficiently lubricated. The vagina then hasn't had the chance to become moist enough, causing friction when the penis is inserted. This isn't serious and can usually be solved rather easily.
What are symptoms of vaginal dryness during sex?
- Pain during or after sex
- A burning or painfull sensation on the shaft of the penis or in the vagina during or after sex
Is vaginal dryness serious and should I see a doctor?
Insufficient lubrication during sex isn't serious and can usually be remedied without medication.
Contact a doctor:
- When the symptoms started after having unprotected sex
- If the symptoms persist, despite following the suggestions
- If there is any bleeding after sex
What can I do about vaginal dryness during sex myself?
- It's most important not to start penetration, before the female partner is ready
- Try to have longer foreplay, this gives the vagina time to become lubricated
- The use of over-the-counter lubricants can aleviate the complaints
- Note: using lubricants isn't a substitute for waiting till the vagina is ready for penetration:
- Not only the lubrication of the vagina is important for penetration, also the pelvic muscles need to be relaxed, for this long enough foreplay is very important
How does vaginal dryness during sex affect my body?
When a woman becomes sexually aroused the vagina becomes lubricated and the muscles around the vagina relax. This needs some time, so that's why foreplay during sex is so important. Becoming aroused is different process in women than in men, that's why foreplay is less important for men. You can find a lot of ideas on the internet to make foreplay interesting for both the woman and the man. Make sure there is a safe atmosphere around the subject of sex, in which you can both express your likes and dislikes.