Read all about Postmenopausal vaginal dryness
On this page you can read everything about postmenopausal vaginal dryness. If you want to find out what your symptoms mean, or what a doctor would think of. Do the symptomcheck
What is postmenopausal vaginal dryness?
After menopause the vagina might become less lubricated than before, causing it to be ‘dryer’. This can cause pain during sex, but can also cause pain during the rest of the day. Often simple remedies offer aleviation, in some cases it can be good to contact a doctor.
What are symptoms of postmenopausal vaginal dryness?
- Pijn, irritatie of jeuk aan de buitenkant en/of de binnenkant van de vagina
- Droogheid binnen en buiten de vagina
- Pijn tijdens seks
- Veranderde vaginale afscheiding
Is postmenopausal vaginal dryness serious and should I see a doctor?
Vaginal dryness after menopause is a frequent complaint with women. Menopause can have a range of other symptoms, but is a natural process and isn’t dangerous. Treatment is possible for some complaints.
Contact a doctor:
- To discuss the complaints caused by menopause
- To discuss possible treatment of the complaints
- When there is irregular bleeding
What can I do aboutpostmenopausal vaginal dryness myself?
- With sex it is important to take enough time for foreplay, because it takes more time for the vagina to become lubricated
- When the vagina isn’t lubricated enough, lubricating gel can aleviate the complaints during sex
- Discuss specific other complaints with the doctor
- There is no evidence that herbal remedies aleviate complaints and they can have serious side effects
How does postmenopausal vaginal dryness affect my body?
During menopause changes take place in the hormonal balance. The ovaries become less active, less hormone is produced and this has a range of effects. Hot flashes are well known complaints during menopause. After menopause vaginal dryness is a frequent complaint. The vaginal wall becomes less active also, producing less lubrication. This can cause complaints inside the vagina as wel as outside.